You would think that in 2016 emailing is old-fashioned and declining. The answer is: no! 1,4 billion emails have been sent in 2015 only in France. Besides, Mailjet has conducted a study¹ in 2014 to analyze their customers’ behavior and practices of email marketing. (75%¹ of companies consider e-mail as a key part of their marketing strategy. In France, 98%¹ of French companies use email marketing to reach current and potential customers.
What company can do to succeed an email marketing campaign
1- Focus on content
- Write attractive email object and email header. Indeed, that is the first words and maybe the last ones that the recipient will read, before saying “no! ” and delete the email.
- Personalize your emails. Recipients tend to click more often on emails when their names appear, even when they are not certain of the content.
- Set a schedule and stick to it. Arrange to send your emails at the right time and you’ll get better results.
- Engage by using action verbs (Examples : “Connection”, “Download”, “Watch video”)
2 – Use responsive design!
Nearly one up to two email is read from a mobile application in the world. Use HTML5 to design your layout can be a good idea.
3- Database Management
66% of the study respondents have admitted to not removing contacts identified as inactive or incorrect after each campaign. In addition, they are only 25% to segment their contact list according to the subject of the campaign. That is a mistake. Indeed, a database that has been carefully segmented provides the best open rates and clicks when setting up email marketing campaigns. Selecting the recipients of a message as the subject of its content is essential to retain the recipients’ attention who will consult with interest an email. Intelligent segmentation databases thus offer the possibility of making more impactful email campaigns.
4 – Analyze your performance
To improve your campaign, it’s important to follow KPIs and assess the results of several campaigns. Besides, it is key to upgrade your existing database and test different combinations using AB Testings.
5 – Marketing automation tools help! (More info here about it)
II/ Consumer Insights
The SNCD (National Union of direct communication) has released its ninth EMA study (E-mail marketing attitude BtoC)², conducted this year by Experian Marketing Services. It helps to understand the attitudes of Internet users with the email in France.
Here are the key figures on the French and their emails:
A French has averaged 2.1 email addresses
• 96%² of French consult emails received on their main address at least once a day
• 37%² of French Internet users receive on average more than 25 emails per day
• 88%² of French people manage their personal correspondence
• 68%² of Internet users check their emails to receive those administrative services
• 65%² of Internet users check their emails for online purchases
At what time of day do the Internet users read their emails?
• 95%² of Internet users surveyed say they check their emails at least once a day in the middle of the day or in the evening.
• 69%² of Internet users check their email the first time that day upon awakening
• 39%² of respondents said they check their email at night (we do not have in hand the precise time to contact you)
Email marketing remains key in a digital campaign: Emailing is the most effective tool to drive traffic to a website (38%² of the respondent go on the website after receiving an commercial email). Do not underestimate it!
¹Mailjet. 2015. L’email marketing en 2015 : état des lieux et projection. [ONLINE] Available at: https://fr.mailjet.com/blog/infographie-email-marketing-2015/.
²SNCD. 2015. EMA BtoC – Email Marketing Attitude 2015. [ONLINE] Available at: http://www.sncd.org/nos-publications/etudes-et-chiffres-cles/.